Sunday, May 18, 2008

a trip to brisbane

I went to the city. The process of preparing myself to go to the city took about a week, given the fact that I am afraid of cities. Loud construction, drilling noises, smells of exhaust and horns honking are enough to make me crawl out of my skin. Add a heaping mass of people who don't understand my personal space bubble, and I am ready to scream. So, a week before the journey I began my zen breathing exercises(yes, I am embellishing again). When the day was upon us, I contemplated backing out and spending a day on a semi-secluded beach. The zen exercises must have helped because I gave in and decided to embark upon this new adventure. As we left the countryside, the buildings began to rise out of nowhere. I shut my eyes and tried to hide from it, but there was no escaping. When I opened my eyes we were in the thick of it. A stream of sounds burst into the silence. We were there. However, to my surprise, we continued on. Driving up a small mountain and across two streets, the noises somewhat disappeared as we parked at a victorian house situated upon stilts, overlooking the valley. We had arrived in the most beautiful area of Brisbane, Red Hill ( i think). An amazing sanctuary for someone as manic about the city as me. We did end up going down to the city for a few hours (which was more than enough for me), but my wonderful friends were there to guide me through. So, I thought I would share some pictures of the peaceful side of the city of Brisbane. Enjoy!
A view from where we stayed. Australian's are so hospitable!

We better get on the road, a storm is a brewin'


This is only part of the wall. I love the colors.



This violin shop was outside of the city, and again, I love the vibrant colors.




Just imagine this church without the sky scraper and buildings behind it and suddenly you feel like you are back in the old country (wherever that may be)
On our way out of the city. This was the actual color of the sky before the two massive storms merged for a lightning show that filled up the sky during our two hour drive home. I tried to take photos of the lightning, but it's really hard to figure out where the lightning will strike next. We actually saw a bolt on the other side of the freeway. It burned my retinas. But I am okay.







1 comment:

acacia said...

you did a great job of hanging in there in that city.

that last pic is amazing, too.

hope prac is ok.

we miss you here.