Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Every scene contains a memory


As the nights creep up faster and the morning light casts new hues of orange, I am reminded that summers do not last forever. I wipe a tear as I bid the warmth goodbye. Although I dread the chill of winter, I am constantly fascinated by how it creates a new feel about each day I encounter. As I drive to school, my eyes wander(not for long because the roads are winding) to observe the lines in the rolling hills becoming crisper and glowing with a different shade than in earlier months. The most amazing part about it, is the nostalgia that I feel during this time of year. Each scene contains a memory, which casts me into a constant state of daydreaming. Maybe this is due to the fact that I am a bit brain dead due to the amount of knowledge being thrown at me. But it is more poetic to believe that it is due to these wonderful memories. My friends laugh at how predictable I am when I meet new people. I am constantly comparing them to my friends at home. "you look like a mix between this friend and that friend," is my famous line when I meet someone new. I think it must be because I am trying to find some link between my friends at home and my friends here. Not only am I comparing people, I am also comparing the beaches, the drive to school and the places I frequent. But I swear that when I drive to school I feel as if I am driving to the mountains in California. In my daydreams I am remembering adventures that I have had in the places I feel like I am. Some days I feel like I am in Mexico, other days Costa Rica. I've even had a nostalgic feeling that went back to my childhood. You may be thinking that I am crazy and have been away from home for too long(which is definetely not the case), but maybe it's just the passing of time. As I get older(writing this is making me feel that way) I have more memories to relate each new experience with. You might want to watch out for me though, as I might start saying, "when I was young the world was so much different. We walked to school uphill both ways, barefoot". I will hopefully spare you all from that, but I am feeling like time has become a bit more special to me. I am soaking up all the wonderful memories, however I am aware that I can't live my life in the past. I am enjoying this present day as the gift that it is and looking forward to the warm months that will bring new life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd hate to see you where it's actually cold:]