Friday, April 18, 2008

Three months and its starting to feel like home

Hello from Australia. I have decided, that since the wind(or sea) tends to move me around a bit, that I would create a solid place here on the world wide web where you can find me. Who knows where it will take me next, but for now I am here in one of the most beautiful places on earth. So..here goes...It has been 3 months since I arrived in Australia and it has been quite the journey already. If you want a quick rundown of the events that have occured in this small amount of time, I will breifly explain. I arrived in February to Coff's Harbour, to be reunited with my parents, Amy and Reggie. I have spent a majority of my time in the car, either driving to school out in Lismore(40kms from Byron) or to Coff's harbour(200kms) to visit the family. I have already moved out of one house in Ballina (a town 30kms from here or 20 minutes) and into another house in Byron Bay. The rest of my time is spent studying, surfing(not to mention avoiding sharks), and meeting new people. I have, ironically, met a number of Californians, who tend to flock to my house in Byron. Speaking of flocks, I have seen sheep in the backs of cars(where a dog would sit), heard about a recent shark attack in Ballina(where i have seen a shark before), and run into a friend from California literally two minutes after I had mentioned his name and hadn't seen in years. I have gotten into a free concert where Jack Johnson surprised the small crowd of 5o people with his melodies. I have explored new beach towns, been stuck behind a traffic accident with no idea how to get back into town because it is the main road. I have been in the car so long that I just wanted to park the car and run home, but have come to the top of the mountain before descending onto the beach towns and have had my breath taken away(this view is shown in the panoramic photos on this page). I have been in a florida style hurricane which took down neighbors fences and trees, and had two of the most wonderful gifts of new life added to our family. Baby Gavin and Baby Grace have become new additions to our ever growing family and I have become a very proud aunt becks. I am loving it. So, I guess that would be a quick rundown of the things that have been happening. This place has begun to feel like home, which, in some ways is sad to say. I wish I had super powers to beam you all over here to experience this world that I am living in. I have no doubt that 99% of you would fall in love with it. However, it has been raining for what seems like forever. We had 5 full days of rain(unlike any rain I've ever seen in California), which ended with 3 gorgeous and warm days. Today is day number 4 of continuous rain since the last sunny day. Yesterday I went surfing at a place called the pass(you can actually surf in the rain here without worrying about pollution or getting sick-i'm still getting used to that) and had a great time even though the rain was coming in sideways. The offshore wind made for some great waves and I got into the most beautiful barrel that was over my head. That was right after paddling into a wave and taking a big tumble, so I left the beach happy. Today I drove into school in the rain with my windshield wipers on full blast and was afraid that the flooding might carry my little car away. And that's about all for the adventures so far. I am optimistic that there will be many more, especially if I don't let school take up too much of my time:) peace...becky

p.s. Some days I feel like I am in Ireland. I've never been there, but this picture is how I imagine it.

No comments: