Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sometimes a rough morning can turn out to be a gem

Waking up on the wrong side of the bed set me out on the wrong foot the other day. Grumpy and groggy from lack of sleep, I stumbled out of bed and started to get ready for school. The last thing I wanted to do was sit in the car for an hour drive to school and get stuck behind a VW bug with a trailer of hay towing behind them(by the way, there aren't many opportunities to pass cars on the way to school, so some days it takes me 30 minutes to get to school, others an hour). Shuffling through the cupboard looking for something to eat besides oatmeal, it hits me. My class has been cancelled for the day. I am ecstatic at the thought of getting to surf on a weekday without crowds. Then to my dismay, my roommates somehow persuade me to go to surf "the Pass". This is my least favorite surf spot in Australia, mostly because there are 3 trillion people who frequent the spot, of which half of them have probably been surfing twice and have no clue what they are doing. I am surprised that no one dies or comes out with a significant injury each day. The other half of the 3 trillion people there are longboarders who can catch the waves before they even begin to break. Trying to think positively, I suit up to get in the water and remember that it is a weekday and the crowds won't be as treacherous. Unfortunately my grumpiness returned and proceeded to get worse as we walked to the water. I stubbed my toe, dinged my board and cut my leg on the rocks. And the 3 trillion beginners and longboarders had turned into ripping shortboarders who were catching every wave. But I paddled out anyways. And there, with a sour attitude I sat. Until, it finally happened. I got two waves in a row. The second wave was so long that my legs started to get tired. When all was said and done, it took me close to ten minutes to walk back on the beach to where I first started. During that walk I was thinking of how glorious the day was and how the sun seemed to emerge from the clouds for the first time that day. The following pictures display the contrary(my favorite part about them is the scenery in the background, never mind me, that's boring). Moral of the long drawn out story, DO NOT be a GRUMP...and well, that I guess it wasn't even a bad day in the first place!