Saturday, December 27, 2008

purple sailboats and the Whitsundays

So... the weather is less than ideal today, which means I have been patient enough to upload all of the photos from my holiday. In this episode, we travelled in an old rickety bus from Cairns to the Whitsundays. Trying to squeeze in all the attractions that Queensland has to offer, we figured it would be perfect to hop on a bus at 12 midnight (to avoid paying for a night of accommodation) and take an eleven hour bus ride to the Whitsundays. Being cheap is a costly event for our bodies. I am not the spring chicken I once was. It may have been a combination of the crammed bus and lack of air conditioning which lead to the problem I encountered, "Kankles". This is when there is no distinction between the knees and the ankles. I suffer from this whenever I fly from Australia to the U.S. or vice versa. This trip I had a bit of empathy from my partner in crime(she swelled up just as much as me). Regardless of the pain we encountered, once we made it to the ocean we were happy little fishies.

Our boat captian mulitasking. He had to keep an eye on the belligerant group of individuals (to make sure they didn't dive into the water again while the boat was moving) who decided to make our day of diving into a booze cruise
Here we are, miserable(I'm sure most of you have no sympathy for us, but we were about to jump out of the window in this picture).
THe infamous Kankles.
Yay, we are happy again! But not in the ocean, just a pool. Stinger season is such a bummer.
Lana thinks that my haircut matches these sunnies. These are the things that we do when we can't swim in the ocean.
Snorkel smile, with the purple sailboat in the background.
Lana, check out my super cool stinger suit and my cool fins.
Whitehaven beach, fitting name I think.
Lana, doing what she does best...taking photos and posing in the perfect position to capture the beautiful purple sailboat in the background. We weren't supposed to swim on this beach either, but I couldn't handle it any longer and jumped in.
This was the island we stayed at, Long Island.
Complete relaxation, if you want it.
Again super cool wetsuits in the warm water.
Lana had the best hairdo, I couldn't resist capturing it.
more reef
Tortuga!!

Our last night on vacation and at this resort. This resort catered to the most upscale of people. We were excluded from this group. Our rooms were located the furthest from the beach(and not considered part of the resort). We decided to live it up on our last night and splurge for mojitos and pretend we were high rollers.

As always...I hope you are all well! Coming up next...a day at the races, Australia style. Love to all!

1 comment:

acacia said...

i'm jealous. it all looks so warm and inviting. miss you friend. i'm so glad that you are enjoying yourself. happy new year.