Saturday, December 27, 2008

vacation take two- Cape Tribulation

Our next stop after the Great Barrier Reef...Cape Tribulation. While we journeyed along to the world heritage rainforest (well known to the botanists and plant lovers due to the fact that the rainforest grows into the ocean) we took a few scenic stops along the way. The photos aren't in order, but it won't make anyone too worried I suppose.

A brave little butterfly. A freshwater river, Mossman Gorge. Free of crocodiles, which was a huge relief.
Champion diver, my grandpa Ed would be so proud.
Lana, a world class cliff jumper
Scrabble, a way to pass the time when you can't swim in the crocodile infested waters. I almost went crazy here (not in the game of scrabble, but being stuck on land with the ocean only 10 feet away) Luckily there was a salt water pool to keep me from drying up.
The beach, Cape Tribulation.
Keeping a close eye on Lana (you always have to be on the lookout for something lurking in the bush)
Here she is, the crocodile we were worried about. Yikes.
On the river looking for crocs.
At the wildlife sanctuary. A view of some beautiful bats (or flying foxes). We were told to keep walking and avoid standing under the trees with bats in them(they were all filled with bats). I dodged a few droppings, but stopped to take a photo and got nailed in the head. I took refuge in the bird exhibit where I was hit on the back with a treat, right after being dive bombed by a lorikeet. I thought I would try my luck and take photos of the kangaroos. However, an emu (similar to an ostrich) decided to take interest in me and started trotting towards me at an uncomfortable speed. I stood still, turned my head away from the large beak moving towards my eyes. Thinking I was headed for the front page news (girl attacked by emu), I was saved by the zookeeper who happened to be walking by with a wheelbarrow full of food. Wildlife sanctuary, more like a nightmare for me. But...I did get a few cute pictures...

Two of my favourite animals, the Koala and this cute little owl.



Yawn...I feel sort of like this owl....Christmas has worn me out, so until I get a second wind, that is all. Coming up in the next issue.....The Whitsundays and a day at the races. Take care and I hope all feel full and happy in this holiday season. X

1 comment:

acacia said...

you lucky girl. i want to be in warm weather right now so bad. it is freeeeeeeezing. merry christmas. miss you.